Breaking News
     |  | 

    Headlines

    CAR, Region 1 reported 105 firecracker-related injuries

    BAGUIO CITY – The Cordillera and Region I has recorded a total of 105 firecracker-related injuries during the Christmas and New Year revelries.

    The Department of Health-Cordillera Regional Office recorded 25 firecracker-related injuries from December 21, 2017 to January 5, this year while Police Regional Office-1 (PRO1) reported a total of 80 firecracker-related injuries from December 16, 2017 to January 1, 2018.

    Based on the monitoring report of DOH-CAR Regional Health Emergency Cluster headed by Dr. Jennifer Joyce Pira, of the 25 victims of firecracker related incidents, 20 were active users (injured while lighting or holding a firecracker) while five were passive users (watchers or just passing by).

    The illegal firecracker “Piccolo” caused blast injury to six persons, followed by the flying type “Kwitis with five. Three were injured while lighting a fountain and two while lighting a “losis”. The others were injured by other types of firecrackers and pyrotechnics.

    Abra, Apayao and Benguet had five cases each; Kalinga had four; Ifugao, two; and Mountain Province had one. Baguio City recorded three cases.

    Per demographics, 23 of the victims were male and 15 were children (18 and below).The youngest victim was a six year- old boy from Bangued, Abra who suffered burn injury from a fountain. The eldest was a 58 year- old man from Luna, Apayao who sustained burn injury from “kwitis”.

    At the national level, the DOH declared a 68 percent decrease compared to the same period last year.

    The DOH credited the strong cooperation of local government units and other national government agencies in the “IwasPaputok” campaign for the reduction of the number of injuries.

    The health department also expressed its gratitude to President Rodrigo Duterte for passing Executive Order No. 28 which further strengthened the regulation and control of the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.

    Meanwhile, Police Chief Superintendent Romulo E. Sapitula, PRO1 regional director, reported a “generally peaceful” crime situation and 57% decrease in firecracker-related injuries in Region I.

    He said the recorded 80 incidents of firecracker-related injuries is “61 incidents lower as compared to 141 incidents of the same period last year.”

    He added there is one incident of indiscriminate firing as compared to 12 incidents last year.

    “I am particularly happy for having no reported death in Region 1 and for having no single incident of indiscriminate firing and stray bullet injuries during the New Year’s revelry and a significant decrease of firecracker related injuries,” Sapitula said. With reports: CCD, PIA-CAR / ABN

    ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    <